- A friend is a second self.
- All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind.
- All virtue is summed up in dealing justly.
- It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
- It is unbecoming for young men to utter maxims.
- The gods too are fond of a joke.
- The good citizen need not of necessity possess the virtue which makes a good man.
- What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies.
- I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who overcomes his enemies.
- For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
- He who is unable to live in society, or who has no need because he is sufficient for himself, must be either a beast or a god.
- Nature does nothing uselessly.
- Piety requires us to honor truth above our friends.
- Without friends no one would choose to live, though he had all other goods.